Sunday, June 28, 2015

Weather Notwithstanding...

Greetings from the land of wet and cold. My only consolation (well, aside from being on vacation and all) is that it's even wetter and colder in TO. And I'm not there! To quell my weather-related malaise, I'm eating a phenomenal chocolate pot de creme with salty chocolate crumb topping from the patisserie up the road. Got me an espresso by my side and some wild strawberries from Jean Talon. Scott's trying to convince me to have a hard boiled egg (usual breakfast fare) but it ain't happening.

They are very pretty eggs though:

This was the scene for many tables. There was no type of egg you couldn't find.
Happily we made the most of gorgeous, sunny yesterday. We went up the mountain for our usual lunch at Pavillion. I swear, that place has to be some kind of front. I've never seen more than 5 tables full and I've gone there multiple times. And the food is good! I mean, it's not Zagat rated or anything, but everything is fresh and the desserts are awesome and you look over this:


I don't know about you, but I'd take mediocre food for this patio experience. The server, who's always there (they only need one - I mean there are 5 occupied tables in the whole place), is not the friendliest guy. This time, Nicole, M and Scott had a bet to see if we could win him over and, no joke, by the end of the meal, he came up to tell me that we were a delightful table the likes of which he rarely serves. Note: We are always delightful - manners being utterly relevant. And really, the subtext of his comment was that we were delightful for anglophones. So I don't know how much politesse we can accord to him. :-)

After that, M and Nicole went to the botanical gardens and Scott and I went walking on Laurier east, which is about 10 minutes from our place. The architecture is phenomenal, as everyone will tell you:



In case you don't already know this, the rationale for external staircases was to allow for more square footage inside some very tiny early 20th century flats. These days, some of the apartment duplexes (including the one where we're staying) have been converted to two story dwellings so the staircase has been moved, natch, to the inside. But you still see a lot of second floor doors and interesting features that weren't removed during remodel.

Got to love a modern infill:

The courtyard beyond this front gate was a secret garden. We didn't take pics because the front door was at the far side and we didn't want to be intrusive.
On our journey, we bought some tonic and cider and brought it back to chill while we embarked on our third adventure du jour, Parc La Fontaine. This is about 10 minutes in the other direction:


I told Scott not to photograph me (Lord, photographs of me, these days, are hard to look at), but he pretended not to and then did - which is why I'm at the very side of this beautiful view. Parc La Fontaine, named not for its fountain but for a former Chief Justice (like in the 1800s), is a total gem in the middle of everything.

I have spent a lot of time in the Plateau over the last 25 years so I can say with certainty that it really is amongst my optimal neighbourhoods. It is strangely like where I live in TO, from a convenience perspective and given its proximity to the downtown core. It's also a true residential space within an urban backdrop (if less urban that the tall/dense/pointiness of Toronto) - a quality I love about city-living. The laneways are better-groomed, and more treed than ours at home. There's less graffiti and much less tagging. The architecture is as distinctive as Toronto's though, in general, much more appealing (think NYC mixed with rural Quebec). The high-streets are replete with stores that sell the necessities and many fun spots (restaurants, bars, retail shops etc.). What it has in spades, over Toronto, is green space.

In my home-town they just love to chop down the trees. The minute greenery approaches the phone wires (and why the fuck aren't those wires buried at this point, as in the upscale areas??), say bye-bye. It makes for a rather so-so landscape, especially on the streets where the houses aren't so hot. Note: You'll still spend a million bucks on that ugly house.

In Mtl, numerous structural challenges are minimized by beautiful, urban landscaping. When you amble by, you can peer into "white-painted" houses that are inches from the sidewalks (not to mention that it's hot here in the summer so lots o' peeps keep their front doors wedged). The result is a pretty clear view straight through some gorgeous homes - tall ceilings, elegant plaster walls, updated kitchens and bright, well-maintained, tiny back gardens. Note: Just about all of the front-facing windows are covered with curtains or translucent film, so these very publicly-situated homes are still very private. But yeah, I'm one of those peeps who will peer beneath your curtains if there's a little view to be had. To my credit, I'd expect no less of you if you walked by my house (which is much more open to view, if set back much farther from the street and somewhat elevated from the road) on your vacation.

I have always wanted to live in this 'hood and, in my sweet vacation property, I'm once again having the experience. This is so much better than hotelling, my friends. Sure, hotels have their purpose but I am so done with them, in general. I love living like the locals.

Montrealers (or fellow visitors): What's your fave place in this city? Do you share my perspective on the Plateau? Let's talk!

12 comments:

  1. i love these posts, especially on the weekend, when i can REALLY dream that i'm vacationing! i'm not surprised you won the waiter over, having experienced you at table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Vacation dreams. Like the real thing but with none of the expense or challenging commute! And thank you for corroborating that I am a polite person :-)

      Delete
  2. Your story about the waiter makes me laugh. I went to Montreal about nine years ago with a couple of other people (one of which had lived up there for several years). We were in the hardcore French section (the person that had lived up there wanted to reconnect with old friends) and I found that most people I encountered were just like that waiter. Lots of complaining about then-president Bush and how anything American was simply awful. Me being a country girl that wasn't able to speak a word of French certainly didn't help. It was an intensely unpleasant experience that killed my desire to travel outside of the US again. But at least I enjoyed the Botanical Gardens and the Biodome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne: What a sad tale! I so hope you've rekindled your love of international travel - even to Mtl. Because, while there are certainly nervy waiters (like, everywhere), there are so many more lovely people here who are interested to hear about the travels of visitors than ones with attitude. That guy's kind of a legend for us - we see him 2x a year and he's never been friendly before :-)

      Delete
    2. One other thing - 9 years ago Mtl and the world were very different places than they are now. It was a particularly rough time for US politics - and for those in Quebec. So I suspect you wouldn't have that experience now.

      Delete
  3. Hi, wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me some Montreal travel advice. We are planning a road trip from Toronto this summer with our two kids - ages 9 and 6 1/2. What types of things would you recommend doing with kid that age? Thanks so much in advance for your advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there: I'm no expert traveling with two little kiddies so I don't think I'd have more to add than a good guide book when it comes to the kid activities. Definitely the Biodome, Olympic Stadium, Planetarium (all in the same complex). Botanical gardens are in the same park. Old Montreal and science centre at waterfront are great. Walking up the mountain will tire out anyone. Great for picnics, vistas and ice cream vendors stands. Depending on when you go, there are festivals on all summer. There are many parks. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  4. It does help, thanks! And I forgot to ask about shopping? My 9-year-old daughter wants to shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, kid shopping was something I never figured out in Mtl when my kid was small. I can tell you about a couple of shopping areas: at St. Catherine at McGill there's the "high street" section of Mtl with the big box stores. I don't know where you're from, but if it's not Canada, you'll find all the Canadian-available things. Simons (a Quebec institution) is on that street, as is Ogilvy. Ogilvy and Holt Renfrew (at Sherbrooke, a couple of blocks north of St. Catherine) are the upscale department stores. Very fun for food and looking around. The architecture is gorgeous. Then there's Laurier West (at Avenue Parc) for some "village shopping" right on the edge of Outremont. I suspect there's some good shopping in Westmount, but I've never done it.

      A couple of other fun things I forgot to mention: the Oratoire St. Joseph (with the shrined heart of Brother Andre) is very impressive. Also Atwater market is super fun and it's near the Lachine Canal.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! We just got back and had a great time! Spent some time on Ste Catherine but, being from Toronto, I felt like I wasn't getting a real Montreal experience since they're all chains we have here. We had much more fun on St Laurent and Laurier and I enjoyed going into some local designers' boutiques (bought a few things, too!). I feel like I'm teaching my daughter how to travel smart as she appreciated the difference between the two areas and felt like she was getting more of a feel for Montreal the latter neighbourhood. Thanks for all your advice!

      Delete
    3. Glad you had fun! I didn't read your first comment carefully enough so I didn't register that you were traveling from TO. Yeah - Ste Catherine is NBD if you have access to any of our shopping streets here. I'm so pleased you got up to St. Laurent and Laurier. Did you go to Schwartz's? I prefer The Main, myself. How great that your daughter has a sense of place, even at such a young age.

      Delete
    4. Schwartz's was on my list but that day we had just eaten lunch when we walked by so we didn't go. I appreciate your comment about my daughter. We were traveling with another family and I don't know if it's because we are city people (vs they, suburban folk) but they just didn't seem to be into exploring (and walking a lot) as much as we did. Part of what my hubby and I are trying to instill in our kids through travel is opening their eyes to the world, making them curious with a desire to seek out new experiences. As opposed to shop the main drag and see all the chain stores we've seen a million times at home, then head back to the hotel to swim in the pool (which is what the other family did many times). How is that getting any feel for the flavour of a place? Oh well, I don't want to be judgmental. We are all different and don't seek the same things in life. Thanks again for your input!

      Delete