Saturday, May 31, 2014

More than the Sum of its Parts

A while ago, I wrote about this shawl I made. I mentioned that my knitting-partners-in-crime (they being Andrea and Sara) would also knit it. Yeah, there are photos, but let's talk for a moment...

I must extol the virtues of knitting partners-in-crime. Knitting can be a solitary act. Certainly, it has been for me. In general, I enjoy the solitude because it allows me to commune with the problem-solving centre of my brain. But please be aware, you can solve more problems, more quickly, with with more brains!

Our knitting collective is comprised of three, well-aligned, but very different working styles:
  • The Intuitive: Y'all know about me. My technical talents are not natural, but my tenacity knows no bounds. Fancy fitting appeals more than fancy knitting. I'm drawn to the texture of yarn, to patterns that appeal on an architectural level. I like LOTS of instruction. In fact, I generally rewrite instructions to suit my need for instructions, as I like them. I'm high-strung, passionate even, but I pull it back from the edge.
  • The Natural: Andrea is a natural crafter. She knits as she sews and makes bags and jewelry and furniture. It's all so freakin' organic. She's quite languid, unfussed by pace. She is truly herself in her working style, which is a beautiful contrast to mine. Oh, and all of her things finished objects are gorgeous, attributable in no small part, I suspect, to her organized and systematic process.
  • The Scientist: Sara is the knitting newbie in our group, which is hilarious since I've only been knitting for 3 years. But don't be fooled. She is a natural technician, par excellence. Her brain reads instructions like a sponge and spits them back out, in finished rows, at a pace that defies reason. She likes the hard stuff (BT 5 out of 5 star difficulty, not bourbon). She likes to make 6 things at a time. She finishes them all before I finish one thing I am making monogamously.
Imagine the enjoyment of merging those disparate skills in purchasing yarn, debating instructions, considering modifications, dealing with lost stitches (that was my issue) - and the list goes on.

I don't think any of us can say we loved making this thing (click link in first sentence of this post for my perspective), but we sure did love working together.


Check out Andrea's post today for lots of photos (why reinvent the wheel, I say). Sara's will be up in a little while, so hit her blog, later today, for her perspective too!

8 comments:

  1. I said it to A and I'll say it to you: I love this pic of the three of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun summary of each of your styles! If I was going to add myself to the list, I'd have to sum my style of as "The reckless one!" I love doing, but I don't love fixing mistakes. When I knit, it made for some technically terrible stuff! But also a lot of fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you are a badass! You can definitely be the reckless one next time we get together :-)

      Delete
  3. Kitting friends are such wonderful things! I've been meeting with 2 other gals this whole winter - having a team project really keeps me on pace to finishing things up - not to mention the excellent company.

    Love your recap of each of the knitting styles/ladies. Such fun! What will you be working on next?! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I've been reading about your adventures with interest. You are lucky that your knitting buds are in close proximity. Mine are about to (or already have) fly the nest. Mind you, we all have email!

      Delete
  4. Fully enjoyed reading your descriptions of each of our style. While I tend not to be too introspective regarding my approach to hobbies (I know I'm obsessive and tend to leave it at that), I'd say you described us all perfectly! Or at least, you described yourself and Andrea perfectly so I'll accept your analysis of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think I described it perfectly so thank you for accepting :-)

      Delete