Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Delivery Mode

The first Empreinte bra to catch my eye was this one:

Empreinte Roxane
I tried to buy it a few times, via a few different European vendors, but I couldn't have it shipped. The Empreinte people seem to have a draconian predisposition to limit free-trade. Oh, you can get these bras in North America - if you're prepared to spend about 50 per cent more than our Euro sisters do. You just can't get them in the same currency.

The fact that they're expensive, even when on sale in the EU, is a big issue. Most Canadian women -  if they can find them - cannot afford to purchase them from a bricks and mortar store.

I've asked a variety of UK vendors why they can't ship to Canada. Nobody's given me an answer, though I'm sure it's that Empreinte doesn't need to devalue the brand if everyone on this side of the pond is forced to buy from vendors on this side of the pond.

And really, there's a part of me that gets that. I make clothing. I've made bras. I know how expensive it is to find beautiful materials and to construct something that requires perfect fit. Seriously, NASA could learn a thing or two from Empreinte. I'm sure its R&D rivals that of big Pharma.

But Empreinte is sorely mistaken if it thinks everyone to the left of the Atlantic is going to pay a zillion dollars more, just cuz.  (Note: I've bought 2 Empreinte sets in a boutique in TO and spent 300 bucks on each. I consider that adequate support of my local economy in this fiscal year, and respectful of a fine brand.)

I have a UK friend who's willing to receive the goods and then send them on to me. That cuts the price in half, even with the additional shipping charge, especially if I can find a set on sale. Then, for the die-hards among us, there's eBay*. You know, I'm not big into eBay but it does have its place. And, I'm learning more and more, for lingerie, it can be extremely cost-effective. To wit, I finally found a Roxane (long since sold out in every store) on eBay. With shipping, this $200.00 bra (in a Canadian boutique) the cost is $55.00. And it's returnable if it doesn't fit.

So, today's questions are these: Do you have the Roxane and, if so, what do you think? Are you insulted by the extra cost that certain companies throw at certain geographic regions (one assumes the same thing is happening in other places)? Have you bought bras on eBay and, if yes, what was your experience? Let's talk.

*In my experience, the most challenging element of shopping for lingerie on eBay is that it's hard to find the matching undies from the same vendor (or even a different vendor, which would increase the shipping). So, if I'm going to buy on eBay I need to know where matching undies can be purchased (sometimes from an online bra boutique - if the bra is current -  or from a bricks and mortar store). If I can't find the undies and the bra's not black or beige, it's an unfortunate no-go for me. On the flip side, eBay can be a great place to find (at a great price) an extra pair of undies to match a bra you may already have.

10 comments:

  1. LOL - how about buying a few less bras, saving the pennies, and taking a workshop to learn to sew for your size and then maybe a field trip to find the right supplies... possibly in Europe. There are women who wear your size who are successfully sewing bras that do support. I can totally see you going crazy with this once you figure it out. And having fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to take a field trip to Europe - but just to buy more BRAS! Of course, you are right, I've got to keep on. I'm getting there, albeit slowly.

      Delete
  2. Living in the UK I have to pay customs charges on anything I order from the US, on top of the shipping. This makes products so expensive – and I resent giving yet more money to the tax man – that I very rarely buy American. However, like you I have a friend who will receive and ship on, so some goodies do get through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just about live with the customs charges, but the £8 that the post office add as a "handling charge" makes me very cross indeed.

      Delete
    2. I find the Customs charges on US items are too frequent for my liking. I think I dislike all the charges equally! But having just shipped bras all over the place (as part of my sale), I can say that the shipping charges (for right or wrong) are high as or higher than those I pay when dealing with most online lingerie corporations. I guess they can afford to charge less on some items as they make it back on others?

      Delete
  3. Whoa! At that price, Kristin, maybe you should just book yourself a trip to Europe and buy all those bras to your heart-fill, have a lovely vacation and you'd still be left with more money than if you bought all those here!! It is a rip off.. I've bought Freyas from Figleaves UK and they cost me 1/3rd the price I was given here in a fancy store in downtown and the lady tried to sell them to me, even when they didn't have the band size as small as mine. Yes, I felt terribly insulted by her suggestion and at the price offered on this side of the pond.

    About ebay bra buying experience - I have 2. First one was for a nursing bra - brand new... I knew exactly what size/brand I wanted and went for it. It worked as per plan and I was satisfied. Second one was for a sports bra - the size was so off that it's not used. But hey it works on my sewing mannequin! And I can stuff it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Seriously! Figleaves UK is an excellent resource. And Large Cup Lingerie (which I write about often) charges NO shipping anywhere in the world. They have some great items too... The whole size thing is a bit of a crap shoot but stay tuned for my post, coming up, on Bratabase. It may be helpful to you.

      Delete
  4. I haven't any insightful comments, other than as a New Zealander, literally everything must come from the other side of the world. If they will send it all. (thus, I feel your pain)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat - you have reminded me that my complaining is unwarranted. I can only imagine how expensive and tricky it is for you to get anything. Mind you, you do live in a freakin' gorgeous part of the world :-)

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, I'm not trying to outdo your complaining! Just expressing solidarity ;-)

      Delete