Wednesday, July 25, 2012

On A Clear Day...

Apparently, it's a long road to a new roof...


Needless to say, there's still a far way to go, but we hope to have a waterproof roof and all the windows installed sometime soon (You can't see the ones that will go in at the front of the house - the clerestories and the original front window that's to be replaced.) There's going to be an awesome cross breeze happening in this room. Assisted by a very cool (read: happening) fan.

The windows are extremely fancy. You can never lock yourself out on the balcony via the window /door on the right (it's open in this photo). That wooden thing on the other side of the windows is a balcony space. The view is pretty nice, all things considered - very wide and much less ugly than I thought it would be.
This pic doesn't really give a sense of the scope in the new room. It really is spacious but not in a "monster-reno" way. To be clear, it's no larger than it ever was, it's just got higher ceilings (12 feet at the ridge beam to the back of the room) and a more usable floor plan.

We're more or less on schedule (pending inspections) and the plan indicates completion at the beginning of September. I wonder how feasible that is. The 125 yr old plaster walls in the second floor hallway have taken a beating - not from travel (we set up a scaffold to obviate the need for trades to walk through the house with construction materials) but due to the impact of the third floor build. They'll need to be restored - Lord, we restore them every time I turn around, it seems. And there will be a need for certain other fixes. (It's part of the original work plan as we assumed all that smacking would filter down.) I think they also intend to repaint the master bedroom, a little extra, which hasn't been done since we moved in 12 years ago. That would be awesome.

Thoughts so far?

10 comments:

  1. I am always impressed by the renovation work people do, I'm just such a chicken when it comes to big projects. It is going to be awesome in the end with all that light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always impressed by those people too!! I find it hard to believe I'm veering in that direction though, in truth, this project is rather small (according to those who do them often).

      Delete
  2. I think your new sewing room is coming along nicely. ;-) So what color are you painting your bedroom? (And my thought on that, however unpopular, would be "please don't paint it beige!") :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! This should be the sewing room! Alas, it is my husband's space. His and his alone...

      I will probably stick with the colour I have had in the room for 12 yrs. I know it sounds boring but I love it. And, now to make it sound truly horrible - it's an extremely pale pink.

      I might also go with a low-tone yellow like "butter".

      I guess I could get really dramatic and paint it grey or something. But I favour light colours in bedrooms. Keeps everything very airy.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad the renovation is going well, despite the unplanned plaster restoration. An open plan with plenty of light sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess I kind of predicted the plaster restoration! :-) Of course, I wish it weren't necessary.

      Delete
  4. That balcony will be so appreciated! What a great hideaway that room's going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are living in a rental at the moment which has a balcony off the main bedroom. I love how it adds a little private getaway, and so now we know this is something we must have when we renovate. And high ceilings do have this magical way of adding space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know you feel that way. We do have a lovely backyard, so I kind of feel we should be hanging out back there. Mind you, there's no harm in extra space. And Scott's got so many plans for that balcony. I've got to keep an open mind.

      Delete