Saturday, September 12, 2015

Short and Sweet

Never do I love being small so much as when I'm sewing.

Turns out that I was more than 10 inches short-changed on the 2-yard length of French terry I bought at Chu Shing. They're definitely not generous with the cuts there but that's flat-out annoying. I don't like to be the kind of person who has to eye up fabric as it's being measured out... What worked in my favour is that the terry is 66 inches wide (I thought it was 60 but I was in error).

Nonetheless, apparently, if you're not tall you can get 2 pairs of Hudsons out of 1.5 yards of 66 inch wide fabric:


I haven't yet sewn these - that's tomorrow's activity - but they're good to go.

Admittedly, one pair is cropped and I left off the pockets (I don't need the lower waist bulk). One pair's for jammies and the cropped one is for chic summer Friday-wear. I suspect that pair's going to spend a few months in the closet before making an appearance next summer.

On the topic of being short and making cropped things, this is what was left of my 1 yard of 60" ponte that I used to make my ill-fated version of the Jenna cardigan (the version I threw away):


Sure, it's great being 5'10' but when you want to get a sweater out of a yard of fabric, being a short-waisted 5'3" works just fine :-)

13 comments:

  1. It's likely your fabric shrunk in the wash - but not 10"! That's bad. You'd better watch them like a hawk next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that it likely shrank, but seriously!

      Delete
  2. That crosses the annoying line into cheating. 10 inches?! What a cheapskate way to do business. Yes, I'd definitely say when it comes to being small, that's a great positive in sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I'm wondering if it was an accident. It seems like a good shop. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt (but watch when fabric is being cut).

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I would be so ticked! However, I'd give the business the opportunity to make it right--you'd know better than me if they seem like the type to work with you or not, but it's worth a shot. Especially after you plunked down that kind of change on fabric and are willing to spend more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will mention it to them the next time I go in. I want to be polite about it because I have to assume it was an accident. Not that it thrills me to have paid for a quarter yard of fabric that I didn't receive.

      Delete
  4. I'm preparing some denim I bought a few years ago and it was cut 15cm short.... it's very annoying especially when you need it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you are not 5''10"!
    And you are not the only one who uses the floor as a cutting table :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I've got to up my game. When we do a (much needed) reno in the next year, my sewga room is getting a makeover. I want one that folds into the wall so that I keep floor space for the yoga part of the sewga room.

      Delete
  6. First try at a comment disappeared into the wild unknown, so...

    Damn that's a PITA - I've shopped there and like their quality. And actually, I AM that person who keeps a close eye, but haven't been shortchanged. I hope it was just and error/accident and they make it right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when that happens! I can't malign them till I have a better sense of their intention. The fabric really is excellent so I'm hoping it was just a mistake that will not occur in the future.

      Delete
  7. Isn't it so satisfying when you have so little scrap left over? Love that!

    ReplyDelete