Sunday, April 19, 2015

Curio (Potions for Skeptics): Get Curious



So, a propos of my previous post, I do promise that this isn't going to turn into a blog about skin care products (namely ones that I make and sell). Mind you, one requires a marketing platform. I figure if 8 years of blogging should buy you something, it's a well-travelled space. For the moment, this is where I'll give you all the deets (you know I have approximately 8000 per potion), and the pretty photos. Having said this, I'll make my post titles pretty clear so, if this isn't your scene, you won't be lulled into reading.

This, ahem,  nascent business is a growth opportunity for me, inasmuch as it's a vehicle for providing terrific product at a reasonable price. As you know, I'm a professional with a bat-shit, crazy-paced day job. I have a 15 year old daughter, need I say more? The back of my century home is (technically) falling off. I sew and knit and bake and garden etc. The point: I'm doing this in my own way, at my own pace - but the standards will be high because I expect that of myself and, natch, you should expect that too.

I don't propose to be an expert entrepreneur at this moment, but I am most definitely an expert consumer. I know what I want, what I will buy, what I will spend. I also know what good skincare looks like, for me, and how to combine raw ingredients to create a beautiful finished product. The reason I have an inventory of 11 products, 6 months in, is because my motivation is always to make things for myself that I will use. I've decided to stop buying the majority of products I spend a fortune on, because I can make them because I like to make them (and also to control the quality). But you know I don't go slowly!

If something doesn't work, it's out the door. And, peeps, I am a bitch of a tester. Furthermore, in the last 6 months I've gifted (aka market tested) my wares amongst dozens of people of all skin-types and needs. Yeah, super small sample size, I know. But they've provided feedback, which has been carefully considered. They've also, to a one, come back for more.

My mandate for myself - and by proxy for anyone who might choose to use my potions - is to wear natural skincare which is not fussy, which is elegant and which is sustainably sourced (to the best of my abilities). I will pay for quality, but I will not pay for a name. Oh, and all the things must smell fucking awesome because everything should.

How it Works: What I intend to do is to profile individual potions in separate posts (not specifically in back-to-back posts, but when the info is available and as I have time to produce the content). Until I have the opportunity to move this topic to a new platform, the information will be stored in the sidebar (like my Sock Tutorial of a couple of years ago).

Technically, I'm open for business so if you read about any particular product and you'd like to know more, reach out to me by email at kristinm100 at yahoo dot ca. While I'm still determining long-term costs of shipping, for the moment, assume that it will be 10 dollars to Canada, US or UK (I can provide estimates to those in other places). This is in line with what I've spent to-date to mail potion parcels. Actually, the cost is sometimes higher within Canada but I cannot bring myself to charge my national neighbours a higher shipping fee than I would my international ones. If I discover, over time, that the shipping costs are routinely higher or lower in any location, I'll alter the prices. I will be entirely transparent. That's how I roll.

For starters - and again, this ain't no hard launch - my brand is called Curio. Those of you who know me IRL will know that's a play on my last name. My tag is "Potions for Skeptics" because that's what I am and IMO, that's what everyone should be.

Thanks to all of you who've reached out so far, to find out more, to be my first clients (or to offer your blogging review services). Next up, Serum A.

14 comments:

  1. At this very moment I'm thinking, "Why is my Curio lip balm all the way over there when I'm sitting here?" I like the tag line *potions of skeptics* a lot, because I'm definitely in the fascinated but skeptical category when it comes to skincare and cosmetics. I'm looking forward to reading your in-depth product reviews to find out more about your ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's my girl! Wait till you get your Face Serum A and sassy roll-on perfume. Thanks G!

      Delete
  2. My lotions & potions addiction rivals my beautifully made & fitted bras addiction. So I'm avidly watching as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great name...great tagline. I've a feeling this will be a great success. Bon chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Evie! I am so grateful for your confidence. xo

      Delete
  4. Interested in learning more :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I :-) I'm such a crazy person right now!

      Delete
  5. So excited for your new venture and LOVE the brand name. Check out a Canada Post venture one card. It is designed for small business, costs nothin to get one, and it provides a certain break in shipping fees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are my original client Andrea - so you have a special place in my heart. And I signed up for the Venture One card. And Etsy works with CP too, to provide discounts. I'm going to nail this shipping thing. I can do it!

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to learning more -- loved the lip balm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances. I've considered reaching out to you to ask if you'd like to do a review (I could send you a couple of other things) but I know you are so busy in your life right now. I don't want to impose a burden.

      Delete
    2. Hey, I'd love to review more stuff. I'm away (Paris, sorry!) for a week with my sister in May, but depending on your timeline. . . I'm a glutton for hand cream (never without my l"occitane and that shit is spendy!) and I'd happily (if skeptically) try the deodorant, the serum, whatever. . . .

      Delete