Saturday, April 12, 2014

What T'will Be Will Be...

Yesterday, on my way to work I found a fabric moth. Y'all know about my bug phobia. Well, it doesn't apply to fabric moths (or most flying things, really). I smashed the shit out of that thing. Of course, it was the sign that I would once again need to shake out and review all of my fabric stash.

Just spent hours doing that. Um - it seems my late-winter fabric spree was epic people. I do not know how I've got so much yardage fitting into one tiny cupboard. Then, in addition to 55 yards of fabric, I've got notions up the yin yang, muslin, lingerie supplies and interfacing. I am officially finished with shopping for fabric for a very long time. Honestly, I have everything I could possibly ever need or want. (Actually, I have awesome fabrics - it's hardly upsetting to pet them, even as I feel vaguely overwhelmed.)

I am very grateful to say that all of my stash is whole and bug-free. I do intend to add cedar and lavender to the cupboard - and maybe to get these moth tent things my friend Nicole told me about. They're work on pheremones and mess with the reproductive cycle of the bugs. All natural, effective and odor-free!

One good thing about this seemingly endless exercise is that it has compelled me to pre-treat all of my washable fabric. When next I reach for it, it'll be all set to go. (Usually I have to factor washing and drying into my sewing experience.)

Mind you, it's derailed my sewing plans for the weekend - or delayed them, anyhow.

I've decided to make another pair of Claudia pants using the stretch cotton twill I recently bought at Fabrications. Note: This will be my third pair. The first I wear constantly. The second I put on the lawn (it was made with that hideous black Bengaline and was too big).

Here's the thing, I'm not sure that I like the twill. Don't misunderstand. It's a lovely fabric in the abstract (far lovelier than the photo below would lead you to believe). But, on washing it, the right side developed a definite brushed quality. I should say that it isn't napped - as far as I can tell - as the brushed quality isn't directional.

You can't see it in the pic, (which makes the twill look flat and grey - it's actually navy blue), but the right side almost looks like suede or velvet:


Peeps, I hate napped fabrics. Nubby fabric kind of creeps me out, not to mention that it picks up every bit of floating lint or hair (yuck). It reminds me distinctly of half of my wardrobe circa 1983. The thing that's saving this twill is that its brushed quality is very subdued. Mind you, all brushed fabrics seem to have one thing in common: they're stiff.

I do feel rather liberated though, to approach this fabric with adventure and not too much investment. It's got about 10 per cent stretch so I doubt it will create a finished product that's too big. And, who knows, I may discover a new-found love as I work with it.

Having said all this, if it doesn't thrill me, onto the front walk it goes. I don't have time to coddle. It's got to hit the mark or someone else can enjoy it on its merit.

The fabric is cut, marked and ready to go. I hope I have time to make the pants tomorrow - but if not, at least I'm proceeding. I've got to remember: it's all sewing. And every time I finish something - if I like it - I've got to find somewhere to put it. So slow is alright. I'm pacing myself with Chianti :-)

Today's questions: What do you think of napped fabric? Is velvet/suede/corduroy your fave thing ever? Does it remind you of nails on a chalkboard? Do you like brushed twill? Let's talk!

10 comments:

  1. All your talk of bugs freaks me out. I need to put preventive measures in place obviously. . I'd be devastated if something ate my things! And I'm the polar opposite, I can't get enough of napped fabrics, I'm inlove with ccorduroy! And I'm going to prewash some velvet today. Ugh...sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, there you go! You obviously didn't live through the early 80s :-) And the bug thing is disturbing. I've got fabric drying everywhere - not to mention cashmere in the freezer! But it's the cost of living through the worst winter in living memory in a house that's 125 yrs old. Now, you want to talk traumatizing - the back of my house is wracking off after the horror of the cold of the midwinter. Oh, that'll cost a pretty penny to fix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really like dull napped fabrics. I can love occasional pieces of velvet or corduroy, but I am really picky about the particular fabric and it has to have a sheen, so the truth is that although I have one pair of corduroy pants I love, and once had a pair of velvet jeans I loved, those are the exceptions rather than the rule. I prefer my twills to be smooth. And geesh, I never really particularly thought about it before. I love texture, but not apparently, napped fabric, at least in its most common iterations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is "dull" in that it's matte. The colour is actually quite rich, but it's the matteness I don't like. This is the only twill I've ever purchased, believe it or not. Well, I know denim is a twill but you know what I mean...

      Delete
  4. And that reminds me that I used to have a pair of pants with a cut that looks much like that Claudia pant. I adored those pants. I think I need to look into that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make the Claudias! They would look great on you. They really are designed with a long frame in mind.

      Delete
  5. I have to say, what intrigues me most about this post is the notion of putting your unwanted items out on the lawn or sidewalk. What do you mean by that?! Are they going into the trash, or just out by themselves, in the hope that someone will walk by and decide they love them and take them away? I have this image now of your front lawn strewn with clothing . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - let me explain! In TO, when you live downtown, if you put stuff in a box on the lawn or front walk, then people understand that they can sift through them and take what they like. Most times people do it with books or appliances but I do it with clothing. They're always gone by the end of the day. Sometimes in an hour. Much of the time, I think one person takes the lot to repurpose - or maybe to try to sell in other venues. I don't care. I've accomplished my goal. And I'm pretty sure the stuff won't go in the trash. There are lots of peeps in downtown TO who need a boost to the wardrobe and might not have the cash...

      Delete
    2. That's awesome! In St. Louis there's a similar tradition, but mostly for furniture. It's one of the things I missed when we moved to Chicago.

      Delete
    3. Isn't it. It's one of the most underrated great things about living here. No Craig's List or landfill required :-)

      Delete