Sunday, January 12, 2014

Organization: Fun or Stupid?

Let me start by putting it out there straight: if you don't do it utterly compulsively, organization is useless, IMO. You're only as good as your last effort.  For me, organization is an entirely binary thing. You either do it, and it helps you. Or you don't (and maybe your life is a miserable mess but at least you have time to experience it). Mind you, I'm considered to be crazy by some, so don't take my word for it.

This weekend has amounted to nothing but organizing for me.

Yesterday it was the stash catalog. Today it's back to the Janet Jacket, from which I've been on vacation for a week or so, cuz seriously, I did not want to do what needed to be done next.

First I retraced all of the pieces in accordance with previous alterations (the original pieces were a mess):


I decided to use the same pieces for shell as for lining, though the original Style Arc pattern comes with both, because (you may recall), I'm using a fabric with good ease (wool crepe) and a stretch silk charmeuse lining.

When I "followed the rules", during my last construction attempt, my lining had so much extra fabric ease (um, it stretches) that everything went sideways. So this is a tactical step. Note, in order to allow for the correct length of the lining pieces, I've marked the relevant ones with the lining cut line, as well as the main fabric seam allowance line:


Then I had to put away, in some retrievable format, all of the original, altered pieces:


While I'd love to be done with them, just like the previous construction attempts (muslin and then first finished jacket, aka muslin 2), I suspect I haven't seen the last of them.

The theory is that all of my documentation is going to make my next attempt much more knowable. And I certainly believe it's true or I'd have to kill myself from the futility of it all.

Today I also had a chance to set these pieces up on the remaining fabric and lining, to confirm whether I have enough of each. I'm good on the wool (I bought the last 3 yards of the bolt and now I'm really glad I took more than I "needed".) The $36.00 stretch charmeuse lining? Well that I'm going to need another yard of. Of course. Here's hoping it's still available. I mean, it is canary yellow stretch charmeuse that costs a fortune. I think the odds are good. And here's hoping I can get the shop in the garment district to deliver it, to save me some time...

You know about my endless quest for efficiency. Next week, when I begin to make the next version of the jacket (I daren't call it the final, that'll come back to bite me in the ass), I'll be 4 hours ahead of the game. Mind you, today, aren't I 4 hours lacking in time to kick back?

What's the answer peeps? Do you organize for the sake of efficiency? Better outcome? To satisfy your personality? Are you the least organized person ever - but you love it and it works for you? Do you think it's possible to be "half organized"? Please, let's talk!

26 comments:

  1. Maybe that's my problem. I tend to attempt organization sporadically. Or I maintain for months (weeks)(days) and then it all just falls apart like it never was. /sigh.

    It doesn't really get to me until I can't find ANYTHING. Which is kinda the situation right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so afraid of that moment of chaos that it keeps me in check. I start getting hives when anything is out of place. It's not very flexible. Limiting in another way, I suspect...

      Delete
    2. See, it doesn't bother me. It's a problem, because as long as I can find what I need, having mess around doesn't really bug me. I tune it out. I'm trying really hard to understand this idea of peace and relaxation coming with order... the payoff doesn't really seem worth the effort. But, I don't live on my own and I really don't want to end up on an episode of Hoarders someday, so I'm trying to learn. :)

      Delete
    3. I think that's the key. If it doesn't bother you, it's not a problem! I wish that I could tolerate some disorder. it would make my life much easier.

      Delete
  2. I think I qualify as "half organised" ! If I'm on top of work organising, then I'm drowning in clutter at home and then when I get organised at home ....well...you probably get the gist of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I guess you can be half-organized. I never viewed it in this way. Good to know :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm a compulsive, mad organizer. I always say I do it because I can’t work in a messy environment, but the truth is that I like organizing as an activity in itself. That’s right: I like perfect piles and colour coordination and symmetry. I like arranging things in order of size. I like folding! Seeing everything where it belongs brings me joy. I'm weird that way. I always say that I missed my calling as a professional closet organizer. Not too late perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell by your gorgeous stash photos that you love to fold and colour code :-) I have always said that I could be a professional closet organizer! OMG. How many people in the world have said that? 12?

      Delete
    2. Maybe we should go into business together :)

      Delete
  4. I'm a sporadic organizer and it drives me crazy. I start and do alright for awhile and then I miss tons of fabrics in my fabric organization program and it's just too much work to start again. My son even made me a program that is easy to use but the problem of course is actually entering the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that before. I tried to catalog my stash a while ago but I just wasn't adequately engaged and it really didn't work. How wonderful to have a child who makes things for you!

      Delete
  5. Oh, definitely FUN!! I spent the whole weekend organizing my sewing notions and fabric and am so delighted with it, I am just sitting staring at everything. Of course, I will need to move stuff when I actually start sewing, but it's just so perfect right now, I'm loathe to touch anything! Lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why am I not surprised that you like to organize!

      Delete
  6. I tend to be *mostly* organized - patterns, fabric, notions. But traced pattern pieces with stages of alterations is where I don't have my act together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the tough places to get your act together. Everything's constantly changing and all over the place. It's my toughest point in the organization spectrum.

      Delete
  7. You're a great jacket maker. Can't wait to see this one done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FUN, definitely. I love putting things in boxes, making lists ... And I LOVE my label maker!
    This week-end I made an Excel chart for my stash and my projects and played with it for hours ... adding projects to the queue, finding "fabric holes" ... Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want a label maker! I would start putting labels on everything!

      Delete
  9. I am totally disorganized. I would like to be otherwise, but I just don't seem to have it in me. I love when things are all neat, but I hate spending the time getting them there. This weekend I misplaced my pincushion. I still don't know where it is, but I have a spare because these things seem to happen often. I admire your innate organizing ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see, if you hate it, organization is just not worth it. You don't get a prize at the end, after all. But you do spend a lot of time lining stuff up.

      Delete
  10. Organization is good. Much better than clutter. Easier and faster to find things, and nothing gets overwhelming. I don't mind keeping pattern pieces on the floor while I'm working with them but as soon as the garment is finished, the pattern goes in its place. And I work on only one thing at a time because otherwise I'd go crazy.

    Not obsessively organized though - I have scissors in four different places (so obviously not storing like with like) but I know which pair is where when I need them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so you know how to manage your stuff such that you always have your props at your access. Very smart. And, no question, you have taken organization to an art!

      Delete
  11. I wish I understood organization better, and am in awe of my friends who color code, sticky note everything. I tend to get overwhelmed when "stuff" accumulates and I don't know where to start. So I finally figured out that I should lean on someone that loves this kind of thing... and have on a couple of occasions hired friends to come over and sort my office and sewing stash out. I'd happily pay someone to organize my closet, too. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd happily come and organize your closet! (Probably for free?!) :-)

      Delete