Tuesday, December 31, 2013

I Don't Know What I'm Doing Posting At 7:37pm on NYE...

...And I've eaten dinner.

Whatever. So I'm not exactly partying tonight.

At any rate, here is my latest execution of A Simple Sock - the socks we're making in our current knit along. (Note: the ones photoed in the KAL are a totally different pair. I can't stop knitting!):

I think we can safely call this my last finished object of 2013...
This is the same Koigu KPM I used to make Scott's Xmas gloves (which he really likes, even though they're not quite up to the mid-winter). I was on the fence when I knit this yarn up on a US3 needle. But on a US1 needle, it makes a really nice, dense fabric. You can tell that Koigu is making yarn with socks in mind.

I am very happy for 2 reasons:
  • Opting to go down a needle size and to work K2P1 rib (both a departure from the norm) produced a nice, firm cuff - that's something I strive to achieve.
  • I was able to knit the majority of this pair of socks using my recently acquired ability to do the flicking method. I'm not super fast by any means, but I'm getting more natural at it - and it's really easy cuz I barely have to move any part of my hands or arms. More to the point, I am now able to create an evenly-tensioned fabric, no mean feat! I'd say that this method produces stitches about 20-30% tighter than my other method. It leans to the tight side, IMO, but I'm not exerting any extra effort. It's just the nature of my actions in this style.
No need for concern if you haven't had a chance to follow along with our knit along so far - you can begin this at any time. Just look over at the sidebar and check out that healthy archive of posts!

And with that, there's a pint of Hagen Dazs waiting on me...

4 comments:

  1. Great tutorial -- thanks for posting -- we're staying in this year . . had to spend the last week getting our house tented (fumigated) for termites and I've been cleaning ever since. I can't wait to make a pair of socks and follow your tutorials -- thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got to keep me posted as you knit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I wasn't the only one chilling out last night!

    I spent my NYE knitting as well. Working on a design and powered through till 130am, so the wrist are a little angry with me this new year's day.

    Wish I had time to join in as I could really use the sock practice! I am so impressed with your sock-age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you were actually functional! I was just lying there on an ice cream high. You can join the KAL anytime, Linda. Maybe as January unfolds you'll have more time.

      Delete