Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Heads Up

Have y'all heard of Amy Herzog's latest venture: Custom Fit.  (Brief backstory for new or non-knitters: Amy is a very well known pattern designer who believes that sweaters need to fit optimally in order to flatter (no arguments there). She's supported her philosophy with a book and a Craftsy course (very well received) and now with this new web application. Please note: I have no affiliation with this new site and have not tried it. I'm merely reporting what I've read from launch materials...

In short, here's how it works:
  • You set up an account (free).
  • You enter in a zillion measurements - there are videos to guide you, as necessary (free).
  • You enter swatch info (which calculates gauge MUCH better than your eyes can) (free).
  • You choose a design from a few templates (aka a V pullover style, cardigan etc.) - or get a custom design (not sure about how this works but I think it means you develop a template based on a choice of parameters) (still free). The templates are kind of like blocks, to use sewing terminology, that you scale to your own dimensions.
  • And then, when you're sure you've inputted all of the correct info, and you like what you've got, you click to create the pattern.* At which point it costs $10.00.
You only have to enter your measurements once (unless they change). You can keep the swatch info on file - so that you choose your preferred yarn rather than having to use another yarn, simply cuz it's in the right gauge for the sweater you want to make. It works with swatches other than stockinette (and can even predict some ribbing gauge on the basis of the stockinette info you input).

That sounds totally genius to me. But then, I've spent the last 2 years doing the math!

Look, I've never knit an Amy Herzog pattern (though I have been a long-time appreciator of her blog and techniques). She's very popular and her fitting method seems to work well. (In truth, I think I prefer more negative ease than she does, but that's a personal choice thing and can be accommodated,I suspect, within the spectrum of the new application by slightly underestimating one's actual dimensions. And by choosing the "close fit" option). I do hope that she'll design additional templates. By design, I'm sure, the current crop is quite basic, like blocks are. (Mind you, there is an adequate assortment of basic shapes, in the current templates, so that an intermediate knitter could add exciting details to - like peplums and collars and cuffs and pockets).

The application allows everyone, theoretically, to be able to make a sweater that will fit optimally. It can be as simple as a stockinette pullover or as complex as a fair-isle cardigan with cables. (Don't quote me on this, I don't know how fancy the algorithm gets on stitches or colourwork.) How democratic! And the price seems very reasonable if the site works as well as I hope it will. Oh, and you get to keep all of your patterns on the site, for reference, and/or copy them onto your hard drive.

This is a concept I can't resist. If only I didn't have a zillion things in the queue right now...

So, if you've ever wanted to make a sweater, but have resisted because you're sure you won't be able to conquer fit, this site is for you. What do you think - crazy gimmick, or new frontier?? Have you tried it? Were you a beta tester? Will you try it? Let's talk.

*The system creates bottom up sweaters with set in sleeves (not the top down raglan ones that are so popular these days), because fit is more accurately approximated, especially in the armscye, using this construction style. Apparently, they do intend to expand functionality to raglan sweaters eventually.

20 comments:

  1. Very cool idea. If only I weren't currently moving between four projects. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that's the problem. But wait till I show you a new pattern you can get customized - well, it's no secret. Go to Amy's blog and you'll see the loveliest cardigan.

      Delete
  2. This sounds brilliant! My least favourite part of knitting is all that math that goes along with it. Off I go to check out the site...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I just want to knit. We should have talked about this today?! Oh well, next time.

      Delete
  3. This is terrific news! I've been trying to do the math for the 'plain vanilla' sweater rom Big Girl Knits (scoop neck, bust short rows, waist shaping) and it's been challenging. I will gladly pay $10 for a pattern that I just hsve to follow - and that i can set the gauge for. I have a couple of sweaters worth of yarn in storage that are now calling my name...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is totally what you're looking for. Check it out!

      Delete
  4. I've finished the back and just started the front of my first Custom Fit sweater. It is a simple, stockinette stitch V-neck cardigan intended to test out the measurements. So far so good.
    Custom Fit is pretty basic right now, but they intend to expand the options. I think its a great concept. The sample sweaters shown fit beautifully on a wide range of body types.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, Lois, you are always beating me to the punch! Thanks for the feedback...

      Delete
  5. This sounds really great! Back then when my mom was knitting I was doing all the math and pattern making and I can tell that $10 is pretty small money for all that hassle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's entirely reasonable. If she can make a profit, then it's great. Cuz it's the kind of affordable that will make it accessible to a very wide market.

      Delete
  6. I am hyperventilating!
    There are angels singing!
    I love Amy's patterns already...this just makes 'em even simpler. Knit and go. So cool! Thank you so, so much for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post was by and large for you! I didn't know if you'd heard but I thought you'd be thrilled.

      Delete
  7. I know I must knit a sweater, so her Craftsy course is appealing, but I really should suck it up and knit something w/o tweaking for a first time. I'm thinking Andi Satterlund, since the Miette Patty gifted me fits me great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd prefer to spend 10 bucks on this over whatever the Craftsy course will cost. Sure one teaches skills but, if you can just get it done for you, do you really care to learn them?

      Delete
  8. Awesome! With sewing, I've been having so much fun tinkering with my basic pencil skirt that I could see myself getting on board with a basic building block knitting plan, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely plan to try this! I always have to modify sweaters for my large bust/waist difference, so I'm excited by the prospect of having an app do it for me.

    Possibly even more exciting, though, is that it's done based on your own gauge swatch. I can never get gauge (or, I can get stitch but not row gauge), so I love the idea of being able to buy yarn I love and then make a sweater around it.

    I probably won't get to it until after my holiday knitting is done, but I'm already excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to hear how it works for you! I do think the best thing is the gauge determiner. She could sell that app for patterns that already exist. Can you imagine being able to take some measurements on the basis of the pattern, enter your swatch info and know what your revised pattern stitch numbers will be?

      Delete
  10. I think Amy has come up with a brilliant idea. Like others are saying, $10 isn't that much to pay to save yourself the painful hassles of trying to re-hash an 'off the rack' pattern to bespoke.

    I am tempted to sign up right now as well, but have way too much on the go and will wait a bit before giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I totally agree. I think, sometimes, it's best to be a second-wave adopter when it comes to new tech products. There are likely some kinks to work out. I'd prefer to try when that phase is over.

      (Note: I don't mean to malign - perhaps her system has been tested up the yin yang and it's flawless...)

      Delete