Saturday, February 9, 2013

It Varies

So, I knit up (and blocked) some swatches of the Malabrigo Finito.

This:


turns into this:

More mulberry, less slug!
This is a mini-circular swatch with the stranded rib. Reason it appears twice is because I was testing 2 different needle sizes...
What I will say is that it is definitely less ugly knitted than in the skein. And I think the cashmere contrast yarn works very well.

Everyone says that Malabrigo is the softest yarn ever. I didn't believe it because, well, the yarn is not outrageously soft as you knit. I mean, it's soft, but not noteworthily so. Mind you, when you block it, something bizarre and alchemical occurs and it goes insanely, unbelievably soft. With NO halo (hallelujah) and excellent stitch definition. The yarn is also very manageable. No splitting or acting up.

Keep in mind, I don't care what they say, it isn't cashmere. But it's a very good approximation for a fraction of the cost. Plus, it's less fragile than cashmere.

A couple of other things:
  • The Indicum sweater may use fingering-weight yarn, but on a US size 5 needle. That's going to knit up about 5 times faster (as far as the swatching goes) than fingering yarn on a US size 1 or 2 needle. That works for me.
  • I'm not saying I like this yarn, just that it's growing on me and I can appreciate certain of its many properties.
Seriously, I've never done so much opinion-backtracking since I started knitting.

13 comments:

  1. This is all great to know about Malabrigo - as you know I'm a confirmed cashmere snob. Good to know there's a lower cost option if I want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but do try to find a colourway with a bit more personality :-)

      Delete
  2. I knew it would look better knit up! Malabrigo is sort of magic that way. And super soft. Oh man, I am excited to see this sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. We'll have to see how it goes... :-)

      Delete
  3. The reverse stockinette in this must look pretty amazing, no? I love semi-solid variation in rev stockinette, seed or garter. Yum.

    Think the pattern you picked for this will work quite well...you need a simple style with that kind of colouring...think it will look fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look nice - but I never think of reverse st. st. as an actual pattern... I really hope it works out well. The designer uses Malabrigo for her version. This is one of the only times I can say I've used the same brand of yarn as the designer.

      Delete
    2. I know...you just flip it around! And it is soooo labourious to write out in full...hah!

      (you must really be starting to understand how incredibly lazy I truly am...)

      ;-D

      Delete
  4. I love this colour! Just so pretty. And not madly variegated. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you don't find it overly variegated.

      Delete
  5. I don't know what much of that means (LOL!) but I'm glad to know that once your work was done, you got a great result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just let it wash over you. That's what I do :-)

      Delete
  6. I like that colour, more mulberry, less slug is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In truth, I could handle a bit less slug still. But I'll have to take what I can get.

      Delete