Sunday, February 10, 2013

I Sewed Something. (And This Post Comes with Photos.)

If you are intrigued by pics of me wearing stuff I've made, then you're going to be all into the next couple of posts.

Recently, I alluded to the fact that, over the past couple of weeks - with the awareness that most of my sew-jo is going to be spent on the tailored Spring Suit - to spend a bit of time each evening prepping a couple of "simple" sewing projects. (Note: Is it just me or is nothing actually simple?)

I decided on a new version of the Tiramisu in navy wool jersey and another pair of the Kwik Sew denim leggings, as I'd already sorted out fitting for both of them. Alas, you know that every fabric is its own mysterious experience, so I might as well not have considered myself safe on fit.

Anyway, everything was going well: One night I'd prep fabric. Next night, review the pattern. Next few nights, cutting fabric. You know, really "sensible" style. And then I got sick and a crap-load of cut up fabric sat on the floor of my sewga room driving me nuts. Does your sewing ever taunt you?

Finally, today I felt better enough to sew, and sew I did.

First up, photos of denim leggings (long-winded story on ridiculous fit issues to follow, below):

FYI, I realize they are marginally too tight. That's part of the story... Also, they haven't had any chance to stretch - as they always do!
I find this photo inexplicably humorous. I'm like a kindergarten teacher in skin-tight denim.
Here I am, working my sex-ay. Note, however, my cool styling with the boots. It's double zippers!
Scott called this one "Canadian Gothic" and I had to include it - in all it's wan-ness - because it really does show you how I feel. This pic is saying: I'm fucking tired of this winter. No one does pallor like me.
OK, on with the story...

I bought the denim with S when we went fabric shopping recently. It's REALLY nice. Alas, it has (maybe) 10 per cent stretch. My other Kwik Sew (3807) denim leggings were made with very stretchy denim (like practically yoga material) and so, last year, I fitted the large-fitting pattern to that fabric. Well, when first I tried on one basted leg of these (which is to say "attempted to get them over my ankles") I suspected it wasn't going to be an easy sew.

I spent the first 2 hours absolutely certain I was wasting my time. The only reason I kept going is because I have a kid who's a bit smaller than me - and because I wanted to sew.

How I "fixed" things:
  • The SAs are serged to 1/4" - 1/8", depending on where you look. And then reinforced!
  • As a result, I had to cut the SAs on the zippers, and fray check them. Interesting side-note: The zips are 2 diff lengths (7" and 8") and I don't care! I kept it that way on purpose and I think it's weird and subversive. Plus, you really can't tell the difference unless I hold both legs up to you, exactly at the same height and tell you where to look.
  • I wouldn't have bothered with the zippers - which took a LONG time to figure out in light of my sizing plight - but I knew it was the only way I'd be able to get these things on and off. Note to reader: I NEVER have to worry about inserting zippers to give room for my calves. So it gives you some idea of what I was working with.
Not a fix - but before I cut this, I did lengthen the waistline by 1 inch as my previous pair was muffin-y low. Alas, it ain't enough! I have decided that I hate anything more than a cm below my navel and I don't need to pretend otherwise. From now on, I'm making everything high forever! First thing I did after finishing the pants was to go to the pattern and add another inch to the waist height.

Note: Even though denim with a stretch waistband is not art, it's a very good solution when you don't feel like buttoning. Especially if it goes up high enough.

While there's pulling in the crotch right now, I'm actually fairly convinced it's going to stretch out. I've never had a pair of pants that didn't get too big in that area after wearing a couple of times.

On the plus side, I've refined this pattern still further and I continue to be happy with my original crotch length and depth alterations, made a year ago. And I've determined that I much prefer it with a stiff denim, all things being equal. So maybe, next time, I cut a version with an extra 1 inch seam allowance. Note that these are made in the size small - and I mini-ed and changed them up still further to fit my shape.

So, whatcha think?

30 comments:

  1. I think they look great, what does the fabric feel like on you?

    It's just important to know what fits you and what you find comfortable! I think I might research these, they look great.

    I am looking for a pair of pants that I can make with a maternity alteration? Do you, by any chance have any suggestions? I have made tops for this ruddy Pregnancy Pledge and next up is trousers... ;)

    Take care K

    Bundana x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The fabric is nice. It's quite firm. I wonder if Kwik Sew does a maternity version. I believe they do maternity patterns too...

      Nothing is coming to mind in terms of maternity pants but I'll keep my eyes open. Have you seen this site: http://megannielsen.com/. She does some good mat tops. People seem to really like her stuff.

      Delete
    2. How about this site? They have maternity yoga pants.
      http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/maternity-clothes-patterns.html

      Delete
    3. Ooh, good ideas! I have to go check out the link.

      Delete
  2. You're just way too cute in all those photos -- even when you're Gothic-wan, your pallor is cute! (how do you do that?!)
    I'm so with you on decreased tolerance for any muffin, especially when the solution is so straightforward. . . .
    You haven't modeled your cashmere Princess yet, have you? . . . .(yep, that was a hint. . . )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it if I look cute! That's way better than tired and aging (which is, frankly, how I've been feeling). In truth, the reason I so rarely take pics these days is cuz it takes all my concentration to manifest the cute. Scott laughs at me because I wear perfume when we do the "shoots". What?! I need all the help I can get.

      Haven't modeled the cashmere and I really should have. Damn. I wasn't thinking straight and really, when next will I have clean hair and foundation on (on a weekend)?

      Delete
  3. I love the pants. I think it's just good planning to have them a little snug at first, I am sure they will stretch a bit with time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those pants and your style shoot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! You're in TO, right? The fabric is avail right now at King Textiles...

      Delete
  5. I'm glad that you're feeling well enough to sew and I too like your photo shoot. It's hard enough snapping pics when you're feeling well so you get extra points for doing it when you're coming off an illness! BTW, the pieces look fantastic on you and I wouldn't say that the leggings look to tight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C. I don't know how you have the energy to make all of your many outfits and then to model them! It took me a month to get up the energy for this :-)

      Delete
  6. Yay for sewing! And that you are feeling healthy enough to dress up and take pics for us! :-) LOL @ "nobody does pallor like I do".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look, you've got to highlight your special life skills where you find them! :-)

      Delete
  7. Those pants are HOT! Seriously, they look great. I wouldn't have even noticed the crotch lines except that you pointed them out :-)

    And I'm thrilled for you that you are now feeling well enough to be photographed in your clothes! I think you look elegantly pale (that's not a look I've ever achieved). The Gothic photo made me giggle though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! And I love the idea that my pallor might be elegant. That gives me a whole new take on it!

      Delete
  8. Wow, these are totally stylish! And yes, the couch one is sex-ay, lol. Hee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was all "fashion lady" for that shot :-)

      Delete
  9. Pallor or no, you're well enough to sew and shoot. This is good!
    The leggings look great. Not too tight at all.
    Is it wrong that I was also swooning over your floor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swooning over the floor is entirely acceptable! Even appreciated!

      Delete
  10. oh god this is the best photo shoot ever.

    i love your fancy zips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks O. BTW, I have a photo coming up that makes me think I look just like you!

      Delete
  11. It must be so satisfying to be able to sew a pair of cool looking jeans!! Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very satisfying! That's the awesome thing about knowing how to sew.

      Delete
  12. Great photo shoot! I love the leg-lengthening double zip shot (mental note to do this pose myself some time). I'm sure that only small pets will be eye level with your subversive zips and they are unlikely to be offended by them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, you already have the longest legs. This technique is patented for the short people :-) And I have no pets! (Haha!)

      Delete
  13. Kristen, you are so adorable! I love those leggings, and they don't look too tight to me.

    Posts with photos of you wearing stuff you've made are always my favorites, not that I don't also love the technical posts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I try! :-) I wish I had more energy and time to do the photo posts. But it is challenging to rouse the will.

      Delete
  14. Yay sewing! Even simple patterns that have no business being as crazy as they are. Also yay for wan winter photos---I feel like I haven't had a decent blog photo in months.

    Also, good job on the troubleshooting. I'd love to hear an update in a week or two on how they actually fit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is going on with this winter? It's been a fucking bitch. I wore the leggings today and I have to say they were quite comfortable. The waistband really needs to be an inch higher. But other than that, I think they're going to work well...

      Delete