Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Gauge The Situation: No Justifying My Love

You know I got sick, stayed home and bought yarn from America. Well, that yarn is STILL not here (stupid postal service) and my hands cannot remain idle any longer, not that I can possibly come up with another justification for yarn purchase.

Except I can, kind of.

I had to go and buy new yarn because I've decided to make not one, but two worsted weight sweaters as part of my Gauge the Situation series. C'mon. Two is better than 1, right?

Worsted Gauge, Project 1: Chuck Sweater in Cascade 220 Heather series 4001

Photo from Yarnzilla

(Yeah, I know, I know, I don't like variegated yarn, but this stuff is very muted. You can't see striations of different colours in it. Yeah, it's kind of blue - that colour I can't stay away from - but it's also kind of grey. Shark colour! I do believe that it's a wearable, beautiful neutral. And you'll recall this thing is all about wearability.)

I'm making this sweater first cuz the freakin' yarn is in my hands. Note that I could (sort of) get with this additional purchase because Cascade 220 is very affordable (though not cheap-seeming) yarn. It's also the stuff that Andi used to make her version.

Let me also say that it gave me an opportunity to visit Ewe Knit which is seriously, the loveliest yarn store I've ever gone to. It is so delightfully NOT CRUNCHY GRANOLA. People, there's a chic espresso bar in the front (run by the same couple that owns the yarn shop, but completely distinct). I will concede that the boutique is sort of hard to find because it really doesn't look like a yarn store (and I can't complain about that).

It's got a very good selection of yarn, very well curated, at a variety of price points. The service is terrific. I will return.

FYI, if you're in TO, there's knit night every Thursday and it comes with little food goodies.

Worsted Gauge, Project 2: Inaugural Sweater in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, 1170 (Dark Grey).

Y'all have really helped me to make up my mind with your excellent feedback. I was briefly on the fence about this sweater. I felt it might be a bit "chunky", but you almost unanimously agree that it's a good choice. The more I've considered it, the more I agree. Win, win!

In the wise words of Katy: We can buy practical things. With the amount of time we spend on knitting, it should be spent on projects we feel passionate about.

And just cuz I like to up the ante, I'll aim to be both practical and passionate.

12 comments:

  1. Love the description of 'shark colour' - seems entirely appropriate! The Chuck sweater is really nice too, look forward to seeing your version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for it. The lovely lady at the yarn store came up with it!

      Delete
  2. I love the thought of that as shark colour. Sharks are just awesome. It's a good neutral colour in my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, who doesn't love the colour of sharks??

      Delete
  3. WAIT, a yarn store with an espresso bar!? Lord help me, I would never ever leave a place like that.

    That yarn color is lovely. The Chuck sweater has moved to the top of my list and I plan to buy yarn for it this weekend... just need to settle on a color :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I left you a comment that got lost. Gist was that the espresso bar and yarn store are in an old Victorian with beautiful tall ceilings, floors and ornate crown molding. Very elegant. And I can't wait to see what colour yarn you choose...

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you decided on both! I was going to reply to your previous post that I received an email from a US retailer this morning with the subject "Every Girl Needs: A Cropped Cable Sweater". So, I think you are right on trend with this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? You're telling me that just when I leave Toronto for the land of crunchy granola a new yarn shop (and with an espresso bar to boot) pops up in the city? I'm seriously jealous. Forgive me if I go sulk while being overwhelmed by the sight of dreadlocks and the smell of patchouli at the LYS in this side of the country. The universe is playing a joke on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look, what can I say? You'll have to come back eventually :-)

      Delete
  6. Woo! I love that shade of blue. I want to make something in that shade now!

    ReplyDelete