Saturday, September 1, 2012

Gauge the Situation: An Intro

You know when you're lying on the couch, feeling sick, and online stores send you sale notices to your email, and you have a chance to pay attention to them, for a change. And then, because you're so smart bored, you come up with an elaborate way to justify the hefty purchase of some pounds of product (in this case yarn) and a blog series is born.

Not just a blog series, people. This one is sure to go on (intermittently) for quite some time. Cuz I have practically closed out WEBS.

More on that to follow, but first let me tell you how I envision this.

My last knitting project didn't go as planned. Oh, I'm still feeling that sting, but it really taught me something about how choosing one's project wisely is half way to success. It gave me a strong sense of why many other projects I've chosen have worked so well, comparatively. I started to see a connection between particular garments and a positive outcome.  In this series, I intend to share with you my project choice rationale - the things I need to see (at this early stage of my knitting experience) in order to feel confident I have some reasonable chance of success - and the specific way I go about finding my next undertaking.

One of the things I did enjoy about the Convertible sweater was working with very thin yarn and needles. I've only done this once before. I do enjoy a tiny knit, but it has some obvious detractors. I mean, it took a zillion hours to determine that the project wasn't meant to be my finest. The project I completed just before this was the City Cardigan (my second attempt). I LOVED knitting this. Partly that's cuz I was on vacation (which didn't hurt), but I loved working with a nice worsted. Sure does speed things along, and the outcome has a nice drape. By contrast, I really enjoyed the chunky-weight Glen Haven shawl (I wear this all the time - even over jackets - and people dig it). It occurs to me that different gauges (and different types of garments, of course) bring a sort of tactile dynamism to knitting. It got me thinking about how cool it would be to work my way through a series of garments using different weights of wool. In this series, I'll show you the wool I've purchased in 4 different weights (worsted, DK, sport and fingering) against a variety of potential projects to solicit your input about which one might work best, and why.

Needless to say, this will not make for quick group of articles. I carefully considered how much yarn to buy to ensure I'll have at least enough for each of 4 projects and I'll probably have yarn enough left over to make other, smaller things - Xmas gifts, perhaps. Sometimes you'll hear a lot about this, I imagine, sometimes you'll hear a lot about sewing (which is ramping up and more fun deets as soon as I'm up to finishing some things). But natch, in this series you'll hear about my progress in knitting 4 garments, and my feelings about what's working / challenging - particularly as pertains to the weight and tactile properties of each yarn. Is there an "ideal (yarn) weight"? We'll have to see!

It goes without saying that I am not an advanced knitter. I can't add to the pantheon of technique or tutorials, but I do have a strong ability to organize projects and to get through the (sometimes anxiety-provoking) minutiae. In this series, my goal is to talk about how I manage my knitting projects - how I maintain momentum and optimism despite the fact that I am a novice at this craft and I generally have no idea of what's coming next. People often tell me that they start knitting but it all seems so overwhelming, so they hide a half-finished franken-garment in a closet and run to get their scarf at Club Monaco. (BTW, CM does awesome scarves...)

Let me leave you with one other thought: In my opinion, if I don't wear it, I might as well not have bothered. Of course, I learn massive amounts with each experience so I'm not suggesting it isn't all worth it on many levels. But what I'm saying is that I make things to wear them. I want them to function in my wardrobe as seamlessly as that cashmere sweater I bought at Holt Renfrew or my vintage Ports dress or my jeans. I also make things because it's fun and I'm compulsive and I love to learn and I'm a whore for compliments. I'm complicated.

I've discovered that knitting leads to some very practical garments and some very impractical ones. Sewn items, by comparison, seem more inevitably wearable. Let's get things started by discussing your own personal goals when knitting. Why do you do it? Of course, this inevitably leads to the process vs product knitter discussion, but I'm hoping we can skew the parameters a little. What I mean is: Are you looking for a handmade-seeming item. Is it about using chichi yarns or whatever you can find? Do you just want something to do with your hands? Are you drawn to a certain weight of yarn because you just love to pet it? Do you have secret urge to be a famous sweater-designer?

On the flip side, if you don't knit - if you're one of those people with a dust bunny in the closet - why DON'T you do it? What puts you off?

And pls. let me know if you like this concept - I want to make sure it suits you and to tailor it to reader-needs and desires.

17 comments:

  1. I love it! Especially knowing that just over a year ago, you were brand-new to knitting, and now look how far you've come!

    I agree that the process vs. product distinction isn't always the whole story. I think I fall into both camps, but for me, knitting (and garment sewing) also has a lot to do with possibility: as I'm making a garment, I'm always daydreaming about how it will look with "those shoes" or "that skirt", and how fantastic I'll look sipping a martini on the patio of "that bistro." Not much of which ever happens in my real life, but a girl can dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G: I was so hoping you'd respond! I have gained so much from your knowledge of knitting and your blog so your feedback means a lot.

      And I totally understand the aspirational quality you speak of. I also imagine wearing my chic sweater, sitting on a patio! What is it about patios and bistros??

      I'd add that it would better to find the bistro patio in a foreign land, like Paris or London or Rome or Amsterdam or NYC or Montreal.

      Delete
  2. Love this idea. I agree with what you're saying here. There are so many unknowns (for a n00b like me) when embarking on a new knitting project. One advantage over sewing is that you can rip and redo, or frog it completely and use the yarn for something else. But you invest SO many hours before you find out whether it'll work!

    I'm not sure why I knit. I just started in March, and before that I thought it was a ludicrously slow activity. Now, I can't *not* knit. I don't want my stuff to look homemade, and I definitely want it to be wearable and of good quality. The yarn has to be enjoyable to work with, otherwise it's torture. But mostly I guess I just like wearing one-of-a-kind garments.

    I'm excited to see what you got from WEBS. Totally addicted to that site, myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear it A. I know that you and I are both new to the craft. It manages to really rope you in, yes? (Pun intended!)

      One-of-a-kind! That's a great spin (other pun intended).

      When sewing, we all seem to be working from the same pattern pool - at least a bunch of bloggers, including me, seem to be. I mean, it's a great pool and they're great patterns. But you're not the only one out there taking on the project - even if you may be the only one you know IRL wearing the item. There are ZILLIONs of knitting patterns. It's easier to be unique.

      Delete
    2. Boy, that is so true. Most of my sewing projects this year have been either Gingers or Renfrews.

      Dammit, this discussion is giving me a crazy knitting jones, but my wrists are exhausted! Gah!

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea for a series! As you have probably discerned by now, I'm a much less systematic knitter than you are, and I generally have 4 or 5 projects going at once. I'd have to back way up to be able to articulate my reasons for each, the appeal of various gauges, fabrics, patterns, etc., so it will be interesting seeing a relatively new knitter parsing the distinctions between projects. I'm currently working on a cobweb (way finer than fingering, really!) lace shawl/scarf, on FairIsle mittens in fingering, on a simple V-neck pullover in worsted, and gearing up to start a baby sweater with cabling in sport. Each has a completely different appeal.
    So yes, you've definitely engaged my interest here -- carry on! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a lot of experience, which is how (I suspect) you can manage so many complex and different patterns at once. It's like speaking many languages and slipping from one to the other. Seems like magic.

      Delete
  4. I stopped. It takes too damn long to make anything. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of knitting needles I need to get rid of. And slightly annoyed at how much money I've spent on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raven: I'm sorry to hear this!! You were instrumental in convincing me to start this crazy craft in the first place. I'm sure you could sell them through Ravelry. But don't! Keep them! You're going to come back to knitting eventually. I can feel it.

      Delete
  5. I really like this idea. I'm just starting my finest gauge project yet- using 5 ply. Should be interesting and I don't anticipate it going fast!

    I like knitting because I've always had busy hands. I love that it keeps them going :)
    I want to be able to create quality garments that don't look handmade, but also look unique :)
    I don't worry about how long it takes me to make something... it's enjoyable getting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 5 ply is a lovely weight! I have busy hands too. And I'm trying to cultivate a more relaxed attitude about how long it takes me to finish something. Thing is, I'm not so relaxed.

      Delete
  6. I also look forward to what you discern on this topic. You are so ambitious and persistent - I love reading about your adventures. I've taken up knitting in the past 2 years. I hit a point where I couldn't sew and turned to knitting instead. A girlfriend has been a casual knitter for years and we have now started meeting weekly for coffee and knitting. Like you, I've had some successes and some failures - but they have been great learning experiences. However, majority of my efforts will need to result in something wearable or I will get frustrated and quit.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Persistent I definitely am! :-) (Thank goodness.) I like the idea of knitting as an alternative (temporary or permanent) to sewing. I view knitting that way in the summer. And I'd love to have a knitting friend to have coffee and knit with. I find knit nights at LYSs to be a bit overwhelming. Mind you, there's a special kind of yucky when knitting projects don't work because they take so long!

      Delete
  7. I love this series idea. I'm not making anything right now because I have a thesis deadline in 26 days, but when I do make, it's strictly practical. I spend most of the rest of my life making things which have no practical use, and so usefulness has become my driver. I'm longing to take up my abandoned knitting (I can't knit right now because I'm also typing, and it shreds me physically to do both, too samey). Part of the appeal for me is creating something that looks "just right" for my aesthetic (I like to see the line between the perfect and the imperfect) and I love being able to have control of things. In fact, I think the control thing is at the heart of my love of making full stop. Anyway, I'm really interested to hear about your choices and decisions (and those of other commenters too). My first post-doc task is going to be to make myself a lace scarf that I have queued on my ravelry. I was defeated by one late last year (too inexperienced), but I am resolved to see it through by Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank MM! And I love your rationale for making things wearable. You do live in the realm of academia where so much is created but you don't get a pretty top out of the deal :-). I'm sure you will excel at your lace shawl! Can't wait to hear more about that because lace freaks me out :-)

      Delete
  8. I'm looking forward to this too. I'm still very much a beginner knitter, having finished one pair of socks, a beanie and a scarf and being half way through my third sock. I'd LOVE to knit a jumper sometime soon though (in time for next Aussie winter maybe?), but am completely overwhelmed by the patterns and yarn options out there. So any posts about choosing would be amazingly helpful for me i'm sure, particularly if they were written by you, you have such a great way of explaining stuff, and including the relevant details without it becoming boring. So yeah, looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love knitting in summer, R, so maybe you should pick up those needles now that you're in spring :-) And thank you so much for such a lovely compliment. I so appreciate it!

      Delete