Sunday, October 16, 2011

Shrug it Off





One Skein Knit Shrug, Pattern by Stefanie Japel

No question about it, this shrug is odd. Not that I don't like it. And it is strangely warm.

It's like the tea cozy of sweaters...

At any rate, I totally recommend the pattern (or the Craftsy.com workshop from which I knit it). Craftsy workshops are a new feature in this web community known for teaching all kinds of crafts through interactive online classes. They're kind of like a cross between a blog sew along and a Craftsy-style tutorial. These workshops will cost (I'm using a prototype I was invited to try out), though not as much as the online classes. I believe the fee to join this one is $15.00 - and you can continue to refer to it forever. This fee includes the pattern and some really excellent instruction / photos, plus access to a well-organized "discussion area" wherein all users can swap info, ask questions, and receive feedback from the instructor.

The One Skein Knit Shrug is a riff on another Stefanie Japel pattern: The One Skein Wonder which, interestingly enough, I purchased a while ago, but hadn't made until now.

The Good:
  • Never mind the excellent workshop forum, the pattern is excellent and clearly explained. I love the raglan sleeve, constructed out of KFB. What a simple, but elegant, stitch increase.
  • This project is efficient: it's easy, quick and it makes use of small amounts of yarn you might have left over from other projects. To wit: I used the 3 remaining skeins of yarn from this project.
  • I can't say how much I love the Debbie Bliss Rialto Aran. It's got great hand. Warning: it is inclined to split around the needle.
Other Deets:
  • I think this would be particularly useful and flattering in black (how often do I say that??).
  • It would make an affordable and adorable Xmas gift.
  • While I made the 18" cross back size (the third largest of 8 sizes), it took about 20 yards more yarn than the pattern called for. I've read others say things to the same effect. Point is, making a sweater out of one skein of yarn is pretty dicey. My version took almost 3 skeins - each having 80m of yarn - vs. the one skein of 220 yards that the pattern recommends. Total amount converts to about 240 yards.
  • I didn't make a gauge swatch this time, as I'd just finished the Tubey Sweater which made use of the same needle size and stitch as this pattern. Given the size of that thing, that might have been a mistake :-) Note, the size on this is just fine.
  • It's a very little sweater. Like the smallest iteration of a shrug you'll find. More like a fitted scarf with armholes. But for all that, I imagine it will have a place in my wardrobe.
What do you think?

12 comments:

  1. How cute! It's a great colour for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love the color, and agree that it would be fabulous in black. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somewhere I have the pattern for Stephanie Japel's One Skein Wonder. Never did end up making it up, but I can see why I wanted to. I suspect this will be one of those odd little items that get worn and worn and worn. And would make a fabulous gift.
    You've done a great job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! Looks like the perfect thing when you just want a little something on your arms or a pop of color in an outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very cute and you certainly have got the hang of knitting. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks fabulous! I think that I have frequently intended to make that Stephanie Japel shrug and have always been seduced by something else.

    Obviously I need to take a few lessons from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's adorable, and the colour will be great on you, too.

    Glad I'm not the only one who goes: "now I need another, only in black..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is little! I think it will great on you judging by how it looks on the dress form.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sera: Thank you!

    CGC: It would be so USEFUL in black!

    F: You should totally make these for your kids for Xmas - I think there's a mini size that would fit Nola (though maybe she's still too small).

    Clio: That's exactly it. Just a little pop!

    Myrna: I do seem to like it, um, compulsively :-)

    Mardel: Make it up! It'll take you a few hours and you'll love it. It's very nicely constructed. Better than any of the other shrugs I've seen. Esp. if you do the version on the craftsy workshop (rather than the original). She's totally improved the construction, by her own estimation.

    T: What's up with that?! But when I'm wearing it with every outfit, cuz it's black, who'll be smug then :-)

    Susan: Isn't it?! Thanks!

    Wendy: Why thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have gotten way too good at this! I'm very impressed and also highly approve of the color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. K. Line, I am still dumbfounded by how well you succeed in doing anything you set your mind to. Your projects are always FANTASTIC.

    ReplyDelete